Loading Events

Hastings Village

May 16

Hastings Village

The Genealogy Discussion group will be visiting Hastings Village on Tuesday, May 16th. “It is not known how the name originated. It could have come from the Battle of Hastings in 1066. It certainly was a battle to subdue this wilderness. A more than likely origin would be a shortening of ‘hay strings.’ In early days the marsh hay was cut with a scythe and put in piles. Later, in the winter when these marshes were frozen, the piles were hauled in for feed.”

Meet here at 9:30 to carpool. If you are traveling alone, Hastings is located at the corner of CR 425 W and 1050 N. To get there from Warsaw, go north on IN 15 to CR 900 N and turn left(west). The village is on the southwest corner of the junction of the Lee Beer Farm.

Mr. Beer has been relocating old buildings from the area to his property and restoring them to create a historical village. This small village is located across the road from the original Hastings General Store, which served as the local store, post office, and meeting place for early settlers. Other buildings from the past include a schoolhouse, log cabin, hardware, a little white church, a hunter’s cabin complete with animal skins, and a barbershop which also served as a dentists office. All the buildings are filled with interesting and useful items from days gone by. There are pot-belly stoves and spinning wheels, pump organs and corn shellers, a little red caboose and a horse-drawn fuel delivery wagon. There is something of interest for everyone.

For more information, call the Old Jail Museum at 574-269-1078. The event will be held rain or shine.